I have secured competitive research funding from internal and external sources, including the Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), American Council of Learned Societies-Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation; the Taiwan government and Taiwan Foundation of Democracy and McMaster University. You will find brief descriptions of the selected funded research projects here.
Research Funding (Selected)
- 2018-2020: 2018-20: International Development Research Centre (IDRC) Research Capacity Building Grant, “Gender Equality and Decentralization in Myanmar”
My role as a leading academic advisor in this project is to bring together an international team of academics and practitioners to train a local NGO and conduct research in Burma/Myanmar for three years. Our project, entitled “Engendering Political Recruitment and Participation at the Party, Local and National Level in Myanmar” will conduct interviews, collect survey data, produce research products to improve the recruitment process, candidate selection methods and barriers to political participation from a gendered perspective.
- 2016-2018: SSHRC Insight Development Grant, “Electoral Integrity in East and Southeast Asia”
This research project will compare the attitudes and effects of flawed elections on regime stability in 14 Asian countries using cross-country democratic governance indexes and survey data. Using mixed methods, I will also conduct fieldwork to assess electoral integrity in four dominant party systems in Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and Japan in 2018.
- 2013: American Council of Learned Societies and Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange Grant for The Political Representation of Women in Asia Workshop, McMaster, 3-5 Oct
This workshop brought together 15 international electoral studies and gender scholars to study the effects of electoral rules on women’s political representation in China, Japan,
Mongolia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. For publications that resulted from this workshop, see publications.
- 2011-2: SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship, Asian Institute, Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto
- 2009-10: Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office Graduate Fellowship
- 2007-8: Taiwan Foundation for Democracy Dissertation Fellowship
- 2017: McMaster Arts Research Board Travel Grant, “Elected Women Politicians in Singapore: A Study of Socio-Demographic Profile”
- 2017: McMaster Arts Research Board Travel Grant, “Electoral Malpractice in East and Southeast Asia”
- 2016: McMaster IQ2 Seed Fund, “Electoral Integrity and Digital Innovation in East and Southeast Asia”
- 2016: McMaster ARB Major Seed Grant for a project on Ethnic Quotas and Politics of Representation: A Global Study of Electoral Rules and Their Effects
- 2015: McMaster International Initiatives Micro Fund, “Electoral Integrity and Digital Innovation in East Asia”
- 2014: McMaster Arts Research Board Grant, “Social Media and Opposition Mobilization in Electoral Authoritarian Regimes”
- 2013-4: Forward With Integrity Grant and Deans of Social Sciences, Humanities, Health Sciences and Business for Asia-Canada: Transnational Collaborative Research Conference, 4 Apr 2014, McMaster University
- McMaster’s Forward with Integrity Award for leading the Asian Research Working Group