In this page, you will find information on the conferences and events that I have organized or participated in. Click the links for more details.
Panels, Workshops and Conferences (Primary Organizer)
- 2017. “Electoral Malpractice in East and Southeast Asia One-Day Mini-Conference”. American Political Science Association Conference, San Francisco, 31 Aug- 3 Sep.
- 2017. “Types and Effects of Electoral Malpractice in Southeast Asia” Research Panel. Association for Asian Studies Conference, Toronto, 18 Mar 2017.
- 2014. Asia-Canada: Transnational Collaborative Research Conference, McMaster University, 4 Apr.
- 2013. Political Representation of Women in Asia Workshop, McMaster University, 3-5 Oct.
- 2016. “Minimal Factionalism in Singapore’s People’s Action Party.” Explaining the Rise and Varieties of Intra-Party Factionalism: Evidence from Competitive Party Systems in Southeast Asia, Naresuan University, Phitasanulok, Thailand, 31 Jul-3 Aug.
- 2014. “Sources of Electoral Competitiveness in Hegemonic Party Regimes: Political Attitudes and Prospects of Liberalization in Singapore.” Theoretical And Methodological Issues in the Study of Electoral Authoritarianism Workshop, Heidelberg, Germany, 15-16 Sep.
- 2014. “Why No Liberalizing Outcomes? Singapore’s Hegemonic Party Regimes after 2011 Elections.” Dominant Party Systems Conference, University of Michigan, USA, 9-10 May.
- “Constitutional Engineering and Regulating Ethnic Relations in Singapore.” Constitutional Design and Ethnic Conflict Workshop, New York University Law School, USA, 17 Nov.
- 2012. “Winner-Takes-All: A Study of the Effects of Group Representative Constituencies in Singapore.” Effects of District Magnitude Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, 29-30
- 2012. “2012 Taiwan Elections.” Institute of Asian Research, University of British Columbia, BC, 23 Jan.
- 2011. “Studying Taiwanese Politics in Canada.” Studying Chinese Politics for Scholars in Canada Workshop, Canadian Political Science Association Conference, Waterloo, ON, 15 May.
- 2011. “ECFA’s Regional Impact and the Taiwan-Singapore Free-Trade Negotiations.” Living with Giants: A Canada-East Asia Dialogue on Regional and Global Issues, Taipei, Taiwan, 5-6 May.
- 2010. “Hegemonic Party Stability and Opposition Party Failure in Singapore.” Party Stability and Performance in Southeast Asia Workshop, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore, 15-16 Nov.
- 2009. “Institutionalized Hegemonic Party in Singapore.” Party and Party System Institutionalization in Asia Workshop, McGill University, Montreal, 27-28 Aug.
- 2017. “Gerrymandering in Singapore.” Association for Asian Studies Conference, Toronto, 16-19 Mar 2017.
- 2016. “Women’s Descriptive Representation and Perceptions of Corruption in East Asia and Latin America.” Corruption and Gender Workshop, Gothenburg University, Sweden, 23-4 May (with Michelle Dion).
- 2014. “Multiseat Plurality Bloc Voting: Comparing Singapore, Cameroon, Djibouti and Chad.” Association for Asian Studies-In-Asia Conference, Singapore, 17-19 Jul.
- 2013. “The Higher, the Fewer: Women Politicians in Singapore’s Hegemonic Party.” Political Representation of Women in Asia Workshop, 3-5 Oct, McMaster University.
- 2013. “Strategic Dilemmas and Coordination: Hegemonic Party Resilience and Change in Singapore and Taiwan.” American Political Science Association Conference, Chicago, USA 28-30 Aug.
- 2013. “Ethnic Quota and Unintended Effects on Women’s Political Representation in Singapore.” Canadian Political Science Association Conference, Victoria, BC, 5 Jun.
- 2013. “Multiracialism and Politics of Regulating Ethnic Relations in Singapore.” Canadian Political Science Association Conference, Victoria, BC, 4 Jun.
- 2013. “Quotas and Legislative Representation of Ethnic Minorities and Women: The Case of Singapore.” Electoral Quotas and Political Representation: Comparative Perspectives Workshop, European Consortium for Political Research Joint Session of Workshops, Mainz, Germany, 11-16 Mar.
- 2012. “Embracing Uncertainty and Democratization in Singapore.” Association for Asian Studies Conference, Toronto, ON, 16 Mar.
- 2009. “Managed Liberalization: The Singapore Way.” Canadian Asian Studies Association Conference, Vancouver, BC, 16 Oct.
- 2009. “Institutionalized Leadership: Resilient Hegemonic Party Autocracy in Singapore.” Canadian Political Science Association Conference, Ottawa, ON, 28 May.
- 2008. “Whither Asian Values Debate? Revisiting the Singapore Puzzle.” Canadian Asian Studies Association Conference, Waterloo, ON, 13 Nov.
- 2008. “Party Organization, Cohesion and Resilience: The Rise and Fall of the Kuomintang (KMT) in Taiwan.” Canadian Political Science Association Conference, Vancouver, BC, 5 Jun.
- 2007. “Political Leadership and Party-Building: Authoritarian Durability and Change in Taiwan.” Taiwan Foundation For Democracy, Taipei, 10 Dec.
- 2007. “Co-ordinated Engagement as a Way Forward for Post-27/9 Burma.” Taiwan Foundation for Democracy Roundtable on Burma, Taipei, 8 Oct.
- 2006. “Inducements and Constraints: Authoritarian Durability in Asia.” Canadian-Comparative Politics Workshop, University of British Columbia, BC, 7 Dec.
- 2003. “Human Security in Southeast Asia: A Gender and Constructivist perspective.” Canadian Consortium on Asia Pacific Security Conference, Calgary, AB, 5 Dec.
Panels, Workshops and Conferences (Participated)
- 2017. Panelist. “Government for the People?” Roundtable Discussion, 10th Annual Munk Graduate Student Conference, University of Toronto, 17 Mar.
- 2013. Chair and Discussant. “Taiwanese Politics” panel, North American Taiwan Studies Association Conference, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA, 21-2 Jun.
- 2011. Chair. Parties as Organizations & Parties as Systems Workshop, University of British Columbia, BC, 21 May.
- 2008. Discussant. “Dominant Party System and Policy Reform.” Canadian Political Science Association Conference, Vancouver, BC, 4 Jun.
- 2015. Chair. “International Development, Imperialism and National Identity” panel, Asian Research Working Group Conference, McMaster University, 11 May.
- 2013. Poster presenter. “Asian Research Working Group.” Forward with Integrity Event, McMaster University, 10 Oct.