Since I began my appointment at McMaster in January of 2013, I have edited two special sections of international peer reviewed journals, published 14 articles and book chapters and op-eds on elections, party politics, digital media and the representation of women and minorities in Asia. You can find my CV and links to my work here:
- Forthcoming. Francheschet, Susan, Mona Lena Krook and Netina Tan, eds. Global Handbook on Women’s Political Rights. Palgrave MacMillan.
Special Journal Issues
- 2016. Guest Editor. Special Section on “Gender Reforms, Quotas and Women’s Political Representation in Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore”, Pacific Affairs (89:2): 84 pp.
- 2015. Guest Editor. Critical Perspectives on “Quotas and Non-Quota Strategies in East Asia.” Politics and Gender 11(01): 46 pp.
- 2018. “Electoral Rules and Manufacturing Legislative Supermajority: Evidence from Singapore”, with Bernard Grofman, Commonwealth and Comparative Politics (56: 3): 273-297.
- 2016. “Gender Reforms, Quotas and Women’s Political Representation in Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore”, Pacific Affairs(89:2):309-323.
- 2016. “Why are Gender Reforms Adopted in Singapore? Party Pragmatism and Electoral Incentives”, Pacific Affairs (89:2):369-393. Shortlisted for for the William L. Holland Prize for the most outstanding journal article published in Pacific Affairs for 2016.
- 2015. “Introduction: Quotas and Non-Quota Strategies in East Asia.” Politics & Gender 11 (01): 171–75.
- 2015. “Party Quotas and Rising Women Politicians in Singapore.” Politics & Gender 11 (01): 196–207.
- 2014. “The General and Presidential Elections in Singapore 2011.” Electoral Studies 35: 374-8.
- 2014. “Ethnic Quotas and Unintended Effects on Women’s Political Representation in Singapore.” International Political Science Review, 35 (1): 27-40.
- 2013. “Manipulating Electoral Laws in Singapore.” Electoral Studies, 32 (4):632-643.
- 2018. “Elected Women Politicians in Singapore’s Parliament: An Analysis of Socio-Demographic Profile,” in Women of Asia: Globalization, Development, and Social Change, edited by Linda Lindsey and Mehrangiz Najafizadeh, 198-211, Routledge.
- 2016. “Pre-Electoral Manipulation, Gerrymandering and Its Effects on Singapore’s 2015 GE,” in Voting in Change: Politics of Singapore’s 2015 General Election, edited by Terence Lee and Kevin Tan, 169-190. Singapore: Ethos Book.
- 2015. “Institutionalized Hegemonic Party Rule in Singapore.” In Party Institutionalization in Asia: Democracies, Autocracies and the Shadows of the Past, edited by Erik Kuhonta and Allen Hicken, 49-73. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- 2014. “Embracing Uncertainty and Democratization in Singapore.” In Democracy in Eastern Asia, edited by Edmund Fung and Steven Drakeley, 181-202. New York: Routledge.
- 2014. “Singapore.” In Party Politics in Southeast Asia: Organization, Money and Influence, edited by Wolfgang Sachsenroder. CreateSpace Publishing: 261-285.
- 2004. “Human Security in Southeast Asia: A Gender and Constructivist Perspective.” In Asia in the New Millennium: APISA First Congress 2003, edited by Amitav Acharya and Lee Lai To, 595-627. Singapore: Marshall Cavendish Academic.
- Review of Political Booms: Local Money and Power in Taiwan, East China,Thailand and the Philippines by Lynn White in Pacific Affairs, 84.1 (March 2011): 121-2.
- Review of Building Party Systems in Developing Democracies by Allen Hicken in Journal of East Asian Studies 10.1 (2010 Jan-Apr):155-168.
- Review of Democratization in Taiwan: Challenges in Transformation, ed. by Philip Paolini and James Meernik, Pacific Affairs 83.1 (Spring 2010) 160-2.
- Review of Maritime Security in Southeast Asia, ed. by Kwa Chong Guan and John K. Skogan, Pacific Affairs 82.1 (Spring 2009) 152-4.
- Review of Corruption and Good Governance in Asia, ed. by Nicholas Tarling, Journal of East Asian Studies 6.3 (2007):511-514.
- Review of The Curse of Independence by Shelby Tucker, SOAS Bulletin of Burma Research 4.1, (Spring 2006): 48-51.
- Review of Making Enemies: War and State Building in Burma by Mary Callahan, SOAS Bulletin of Burma Research 3.1 (Spring 2005): 233-5.
- Review of Living Silence: Burma Under Military Rule by Christina Fink, SOAS Bulletin of Burma Research, 1.2 (Autumn 2003): 35-7.